Monday, February 01, 2021

Manly Monday Let’s play hockey cards


A friend of mine has this Stampin Up sports set that I borrowed.
I stamped the hockey puck and face mask in red and black ink on a strip of white cardstock. I feel as though my pattern with these two stamps was made for a vertical placement on a card or layout.

My goal (Ha! Pun not intended) 
was to use the border in a calendar page but it didn't feel right to use it horizontally because of the way the face masks are facing. 

But in a 'let's get this done' moment, I decided to cut it to fit my layout and committed to using it by taping it down. Good Girl!

However, the more I walked by the layout the more didn't like the way it looked. 
I ended up pulling it off the page and made these two cards instead. You can see the layout at the end of this post.

For my cards: The sentiment is a stamp by Studio 112.

I used mostly cardstock except the polka dot paper is by Scenic Route









Below is the calendar layout that I did. You can see where I got the polka dot paper for my card. 

I originally had the stamped border on the upper left side where you see the intricate Cricut die cuts-Glove, stick with puck and ice, and Jersey.


Babbling:
I make calendars for my brother's house, our cottage, and the entire Groh family. 

I had carpal and cubital tunnel surgery in September of 2017. The calendars had to be made and so hubby jumped in to help by printing, cutting, and taping calendar layouts together. It was then that the decision was made to make one layout for each month and then that layout would be color copied and taped to the calendar.


It saved me a lot of time spent searching through my stash to make 14 different calendar layouts with the same photo without the convenience of the same supplies for each layout. 

The calendar's size is 11 3/4 x 8 1/2 so I always have these leftover strips of paper from cutting a 12x12 piece of paper down to the size of the calendar. 

Honestly, I don’t love this layout because it is way too busy. There’s so much to look at that your eyes don't have a place to rest. I do love the hockey die cuts. I put those together years ago. 
They were intended for layouts made with pictures of us at our local hockey games. I miss going to hockey. We had tickets to 10 or more home games for the season. We liked the guys that we sat next to in “row” R.

> Side note: I have to use a wheelchair when going out to places that require a lot of walking. I hate it but I hate falling or having to sit on the ground because my legs went numb more.
So, row R isn't actually a row. It's up top and wheelchair accessible. 
The father and son duo next to us were great guys that I hugged when I saw them. We loved to chit chat with them about different things. 
The father had a lot of health issues and was once in the hospital. I told the son to call us when something like that happened.
We gave them our phone number but they never gave us theirs. I hope they are doing okay during the pandemic.

I've gotten very chatty on my blog. Thank you to my few lovely faithful ladies that stop by and write me comments. I apologize for the grammatical errors or thoughts that I'm trying to convey that aren't worded correctly. These posts take me a long time to create and I don't always catch those things when proofreading. 

Thanks for looking

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Cute cards and layout!
Have a great day!
Marilyn❤️

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Good to have you chatty Cindy, nice to know about the layout, although I like it. The cards are great and I'm sure they will all be appreciated. If you still find it tricky to get the calendars ready, have you tried digital scrapbooking, it may be easier for you? Just a thought?
Faith x

Cindy Groh said...

Thank you Marilyn for stopping by and leaving comments. It makes my day.

Cindy Groh said...

I have thought of digital and doing the calendars digital is a good idea. With my carpal tunnel now on the left as well as the right, my accomplishment rate would go down due to pain.
Side note> I had surgery on the right and at my last EMG he said it has come back. Idk that it could come back. I believe doc said having another surgery to correct it would cause scar tissue which could make things worse than they are now. Who knew? lol
I do like getting my fingers inky and using my markers on stamps. I also consider it a challenge to see what I have to use in what I'm making.

Ali said...

I think these are GREAT cards, Cindy! I have 2 li'l nephews in New Brunswick who'd LOVE 'em! I did do them [CTMH stamp set] hockey stick and puck "action" cards last year- may have to show you. We are not sporty in this family, but my sister's kids sure are. I love the red and black- of course they are the colours of my Alma Mater, UNB! That LO is not too busy- it's about a sports where there is action galore and so much to look at. So-- of course, it is perfect fore that! I use a w/c when out, too. Walking is too hard. You need to be safe and I totally get it. Me as well. People need to stop with the staring. I get it! ((HUGZ)) Love your chatty posts, BTW~ way to go. What you have to say matters and is always fun to read! ~ Ali :)